Regular attendance during the school years supports academic achievement and prepares students for future success in the adult workplace.
Excessive Absences or tardiness will also effect the student's permanent record. (Ed. Code Sec. 48200 states that all children between the ages of 6 and 16 are subject to compulsory full-time education.) Chronic absences and/or tardies will be reported to the School Attendance Review Board for action.
Independent Study Agreement
Independent Study Agreements are available for students who are ill or are absent due to travel or family necessity for five days or more. Contact the school office prior (minimum of two days) to absence to allow teachers to prepare homework for the extended absence. The student's assignments will be placed on an Independent Study Agreement.
Returning from an Absence
A student returning after an absence needs to:
- Present a written excuse signed by a parent or guardian to the attendance clerk.
- Pick up an "Admit Slip" at the attendance window between 8:30-8:55 a.m. for admission to your first period class. Your teacher will not admit you to class without this form. Forgetting to appear at the attendance window after 9 a.m. will be considered the same as tardy.
- If you arrive at school after the absence list has been delivered, report to the Attendance Office, and the attendance clerk will give you a Cancellation of Absence form.
Absences & Activities
Students who are absent on the day of a school activity may not participate in any after-school activity that day.
Homework During Absences
After being absent three days or more because of illness, parents may request homework assignments from the school office. We require twenty-four hour's notice before coming to pick up such homework.
- All students are expected to be in their seats in the classroom, with the necessary instructional materials, prepared to work, exactly on time. This gives all students in the class an opportunity to take full advantage of the learning time provided.
Tardies distrupt the teaching/learning process. Please note:
- If the student reports to school later than 9:00 a.m., he/she should report to the attendance office for a permit to enter class.
- If the student is tardy from passing time between classes, he/she is to report directly to the teacher of the class.
- If a staff member has been responsible for tardiness, the student must obtain an excuse pass from that staff member.
- A student is tardy if he/she is not in his/her seat and ready to work when the bell rings.
P.E. classes are expected to be in the locker room at the tardy bell.--
Consequences for Tardiness
Tardiness is an undesirable habit which will lead to academic as well as disciplinary problems. Tardies will result in detention; excessive tardies will result in Loss of Privilege List. Further tardies may result in additional suspension and/or referral to the School Attendance Review Team (SART). Under the provisions of the California State Education Code:
"Any child absent or tardy in excess of 30 minutes without a valid excuse on three or more days may be reported truant. If reported truant and again absent one or more days, the child may be reported truant a second time. He/She is deemed a habitual truant if reported three or more times."
Under provisions of the California State Education Code:
"Any pupil subject to compulsory full-time education or to compulsory continuation education who is absent from school without valid excuse more than three days or tardy in excess of 30 minutes on each of more than three days in one school year is a truant..."
Truant students are also placed on the Loss of Privilege List and their parents are always notified. A parent conference may be scheduled.
The habitual truant may be referred to the District School Attendance Review Team for a hearing, which may result in referral to the juvenile court system.
Leaving During School Hours
Present a signed, written request from parent or guardian to the attendance window indicating who will be picking up the student and obtain a Permit to Leave Grounds form to leave school.
If someone other than the parent or guardian, not on the emergency contact list, comes to school to pick up a student, parents/guardians will be contacted prior to the student's release from school.
All students need to be checked out in the front office. Please be prepared to show your picture ID.
Change of Address
-It is important that you keep the school attendance office informed of any telephone or address change to assure contact during emergencies, delivery of report cards, and other important notices from the school.
Change of School
If you are changing schools, the counseling office will issue a checkout slip to be taken to the health tech., librarian, and each of the student's teachers for their signature. This will verify that all books have been returned and all debts have been paid. This process closes our files and clears a student to enroll in another school.